Toasted Hazelnut & Cranberry Roulade : a Festive Recipe :
Chef and Simple Food Pledge supporter Helen Costelloe uses only plant-used ingredients. Her restaurant the Cutting Vedge is the go-to spot in Kilkenny city for the best of vegan fare. With Christmas and the New Year only days away, Helen kindly shares with us a recipe with a festive twist. Even if you choose to celebrate today’s Winter solstice, this tasty dish would go down a treat. It really would take pride of place on anyone’s table.
- 1 pack of puff pastry
- 250g toasted hazelnuts
- 100g dried cranberries
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Toss all the vegetables in a little olive and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and blend to a chunky consistency.
- In the meanwhile pop the hazelnuts in a blender. Chop them in small pieces – not too finely. Combine with the vegetables and adjust seasoning.
- Roll out the pastry concentrating on the centre to ensure it cooks evenly. Place the mixture in the centre lengthways and cut ten strips in the pastry either side of the mixture.
- Lattice plait the pastry, alternating the strips on either side, as shown. Brush the strips with some soya milk to help the pastry stick. Then when finished, brush all over.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Allow it to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy! See more details for The Cutting Vedge here.