Recipe by Fiona Staunton :
Fiona Staunton is a Ballymaloe-trained chef and Home Economics teacher. Her aim is to get the nation cooking from scratch and to ditch processed foods. Here she kindly shares with us, her radical radish recipe!
I love eating local food in season. One food in season in April in Ireland is radishes. They are colourful and have a bitter taste. They are delicious in salads and are often served as a crudite before a meal to assist with the production of digestive juices. However, have you ever tried roast radishes? The flavour changes and they loose their bitterness and make for a delicious side dish. Here is my recipe for roast radishes!
- 2-3 bunches radishes, trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 tsp. thyme, fresh or dried
- Pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Sprinkle the olive oil, seasoning and herbs over the halved radishes.
- Place them on the roasting tray, cut side down.
- Roast in the oven for 20 mins until tender and slightly crispy on the outside.
- Sprinkle with parmesan if using and return to oven for 5 mins.
- Serve immediately.
Fiona delivers live cookery demos in the workplace, where she brings her kitchen to your place of work. She also hosts longer demos in her kitchen in Dublin 18. These demonstrations cover a variety of themes such as Fermentation workshops, entertaining, quick meals, BBQ nights and much more. Her ethos is Cook Eat Nourish, Fiona cooks, you eat and you are empowered to nourish yourself and those around you. She also offers a variety of helpful videos on her YouTube channel Fiona’s food for life- Cook Eat Nourish